Wednesday, November 12, 2008

No longer living out of a suitcase but rather a wardrobe


At last after 2 weeks of living in a hotel, albeit a hotel room with a fridge and a cooker, I have managed to escape and move into my own place on one of the most social streets in Pest - so I have been told. Just near to the green bridge and the main market but only a short hop to the main shopping area of the city

Benefits of having my own place
Washing Machine
Sofa
Wardrobes
Comfie bed
Cable TV - OK so it is still not great as I don't speak German or Hungarian (not enough to understand TV anyway) but it has more than just CNN - apparently there was an election on the other week which got a little bit of coverage but now I have the good old Beeb in its BBC World incarnation which is slight better but I suspect I might be watching a lot of DVDs unitl I can work out how to convince BBC iPlayer that I am in the UK!! (anyone who knows how to hack it, please let me know) Good news is that there is a Hungarian sports channel that shows all the football from the UK and also Rugby matches (and there's Katy thinking she might be coming for a cultured weekend but oh no!!)

good news is that it is only 6kms to the office so the walk is enough to wake me up in the morning, over the river and up the Gelert Hill and then a run back in the evening - all downhill which is an added bonus however as the temperature has dropped a little, I suspect that I might soon be joining the throngs of people on the ricketty buses or the relatively new trams that seem to be the main mode of transport for anyone with a desire to get to and from work in 1 piece - word of warning - if you are coming out here and think that driving might be a good idead - get a vey big car (or even a tank) - I have seen a couple of Smarts but they must be driven by someone with a deathwish!

Also had a very interesting experience the other day when I was on the way to the airport to fly back to London - they shut the main/only road to the airport - not for any usual reason for shutting a road like an accident but rather as the President had landed and was on his way back into the city centre - sounds a familiar practice for our friends in the Bear country but I thought that sort of activity had been disbanded when democracy came into play but then again, I suppose if it is a perk it will stay - luckily, I had left enough time to get there and then was the only person in Malev Business class - there must be a credit crunch! Think it was a wasted ticket as I got on the plane and fell asleep only to be woken when the air stewardess was putting a blanket over me and then I assume she went back behind her curtain and drank my Hungarian champagne and Business class meal - wonder if I can ask for a refund?

No comments: