Friday, December 12, 2008

Footie food

Having been invited to join Jim and Gordon for drinks on Friday evening last week, I suddenly found myself being asked to come a long to the football club dinner at a Serbian restaurant just near the Great Market - true to the typical serbian hospitality that I enjoyed several years ago in Belgrade, beers come until you leave or pass out - whichever comes first - no is not an option when the barman looks at you but managed to avoid too many of the slivovicas that were doing the rounds although did get roped into Palinka - I still do not get the fascination with this drink! The food was amazing - platters of pork, chicken, pickled vegs and potatoes all consumed with vast hunks of bread and spicy red pepper sauce - lovely.

On Sunday, I was required to repay the invitation and joined the team for a training session in Vasas Gym which has a great outdoor astro pitch - true to form, I looked like a fish, not only out of water but rather which had never seen water!! Someone through a ball at me to control on my chest and volley back so I caught it instead - at which point, Jim suggested that maybe people should only roll it along the ground to me instead - the shame and humiliation of the rugby boy.

The team are a really multi-national group - Brits, Irish, French, Iranian, Egyptian and Hungarian to name but a few - all living and working out here from artists and journalists to professional rabble rousers!

Will have to see if I am invited to attend again!

No comments: